Hedgehog Awareness Week
Hedgehog Awareness Week 2017 takes place from 30th April until 6th May and is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society. This year the focus is on garden machinery, specifically garden strimmers. The aim is to encourage more people to check around their surrounding area for hedgehogs and other wildlife before using machinery.
Why do we need to look after our hedgehogs?
Hedgehogs are a gardener’s best friend, they enjoy munching on those pesky slugs, naturally reducing the number in your garden – in turn, caring for your plants. They are fascinating creatures with their spiky texture, but sadly their population is in decline. This is a result of many factors, but predominately the reduction of garden hedgerows which provide perfect homes and passing places.
As a little reminder, here are a few other simple things you can do to help our hedgehogs;
- Ensure there is access into the garden (all that is needed is 5” square gap)
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning
- Ensure netting is at a safe height
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in
- Reduce the amount of pesticide or poisons used
- Cover drains or deep holes
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools