Spring is well underway with lots of plants starting to flower and everybody getting busy sprucing up their gardens for the Summer weather. Vegetable growing really takes off this month. Chit and plant out second early potatoes in the first half of the month, then maincrop potatoes in the second half. It’s also time to sow seed outdoors in well-prepared soil.
- Ideal time to plant pot-grown fruit trees and soft fruit bushes
- Sow seed outdoors for beetroot, carrots, Swiss chard, summer cauliflower, kohl rabi, lettuce, leeks, radish, turnip, spring and pickling onions, peas and perpetual spinach in well-prepared soil
- Pot up tomato seedlings when they develop true leaves above the more rounded seed leaves
- Damp down or mist citrus plants regularly once flowering begins
- Prepare runner bean supports for sowing (in May) or planting out (in June)
- Keep on top of weed control and continue through to summer