Gardening tips for January
Embrace the New Year. Now’s the time to get organised, so your garden will be full of promise in the coming months.
Things to do this month
- Recycle your Christmas tree by shredding and then scatter on garden.
- Use flowering houseplants such as Orchids so your home doesn’t look so bare without those Christmas decorations.
- Generally protect your garden from frost, wind and heavy rain – check stakes and ties and move plants to sunnier positions if necessary.
- Plant fruit trees if ground not frozen.
- Prune pear and apple trees.
- Plan veg crop rotations for coming months.
- If sunny, ventilate the greenhouse.
- Keep feeding and watering the birds.