Get set, as well as looking good, make sure your outdoor space is ready for lots of al fresco dining this summer.
- Be mindful of late frosts and protect where necessary
- Earth up potatoes and plant any remaining
- Mow lawns weekly
- If possible, collect rainwater and try to use the water for garden irrigation
- Keep weeding and hoeing
- If warm, ventilate the greenhouse
- Be mindful of garden pests – viburnum beetle and beetle grubs
- Clip hedges, but be mindful of nesting birds. When undertaking work on garden hedges check that there are no birds nesting, as it is an offence under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 to damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built. The bird nesting season is usually considered to run from 1st March to 31st July (though it may last longer for certain species or multiple broods so always check if in doubt).